Note: Family CROSSroads is a Wednesday evening study for the fall quarter at North Charleston. Below are slides and helpful resources pertinent to our class discussions.
[highlight]Lesson #09: SATAN’S TOOLBOX – “The Sexualization of America” (October 29, 2014)[/highlight]
SUMMARY: Our culture has been told a lie. People are being told that we are defined by how we look, how appealing we are to the opposite sex, and what we are willing to do sexually. Where did we get this idea? It all comes down to two words: sex sells. This study will focus on the influence of media and marketing to sexualize our culture. Here’s the outline:
- The Culture: the Inception (where all of this began)
- The Consequence: Immorality
- The Contrast: God’s Image
Where did we get the idea that we are to create our own image to define who we are? Ultimately, we are to project God’s image within us (Gen. 1:26-27) by fleeing immorality (1 Thes. 4:3-7).
- Book: Sexual Anarchy by Dave Miller (Apologetics Press) – eBook, $2.95
- Research: Young People, Media, and Personal Relationships
- Research: Policy Statement – Sexuality, Contraception, and the Media (American Academy of Pediatrics)
- Research: Sex and Tech: Results from a Survey of Teens and Young Adults (The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy and Cosmo Girl)
[button color=”orange” size=”medium” link=”http://roberthatfield.net/family” ]Family CROSSroads Series Page[/button]