Saturday, April 12, 2014
“Q & A Saturday”
Submit Questions for Q & A Saturday!
- Email: email@example.com
- Voicemail: 903-26-LIGHT (903-265-4448)
Question: “Sometimes I feel all alone as a Christian, as though no one else is trying to do what I’m trying to do. Is that a sin?”
No, being discouraged is not intrinsically sinful. However, unless we properly deal with it, discouragement could cause our faith to falter. Taking the example of Elijah in 1 Kings 19, let’s look at how to deal with discouragement:
- Elijah needed to rest, eat and drink (1 Kings 19:5-8).
- Elijah needed to draw near to the Lord (1 Kings 19:10-12).
- Elijah needed to seek God in the peace of the small things (1 Kings 19:12).
- Elijah needed a reminder that he was never actually alone (1 Kings 19:13-18).
An important New Testament example is found in Acts 4:23ff. where Peter and John went to the church to pray after being told not to teach about Jesus any more.
Other relevant passages:
- Galatians 6:9
- 1 Peter 5:7
- Philippians 4:6-7
- Hebrews 13:5-6